We have traveled the world (over 55 countries) and visited countless cities in the pursuit of finding bombastic luxury hotels, resorts and restaurants. We do this so that we can write real independent and unbiased travel reviews.
So, what do we look for?
The top things we take into consideration are:
1. Have our requests we made ahead of time been met. (Were we picked up a the airport as planned? Do we have the view we requested? if we requested extra towels or luggage racks, were they supplied?
2. How was the check in process, quick and friendly, or slow and unfriendly? Were we met at the car by a bellman or valet? Were we treated like valued guests or just someone that came in off the street? Did someone show us to our room or just point in the direction of the elevator?
3. How clean was our room? Did is smell nice or were there any odd odors? Was there a welcome card, bowl of fruit or bottle wine or something similar? How was the view? Linens? TV? Other amenities?
4. Was our luggage brought to the room in a timely manner? Were the bags just dropped or did they set them on luggage racks for us.
5. How was the housekeeping service. How was the evening service? Did they offer complimentary water? Other night time treats like chocolates or sweets?
6. How was the room service menu? Extensive? What hours do they offer it?
7. What are the amenities at the hotel? How many restaurants? Pool? Spa? Fitness center? Are they free or for a fee?
8. Is there a 24 hour concierge service? Are they knowledgeable?
9. How are special requests handled by the front desk? How quickly do they pick up the phone? One ring, two rings, three or more? Are they able to answer questions or do you get the run around, or call back later routine?
10. How is the staff in general? Do they address you? Do they address you by name? When you pass them in the hallway do they acknowledge you or pretend you don’t exist?
11. How are problems solved? A late delivery? Or poor turndown? Do they rectify the issue quickly and easily or do they make it a big ordeal?
12. How is service in the restaurants, pools, spa and other facilities?
13. How is the check out process? Is the bill accurate?
These are just a few of the items we ask ourselves when we review a resort or hotel. There are many, many more things we take into account, but this gives you an idea of just some of the things we take into consideration.
Now that you have seen some of the things we take into consideration when we write a review, maybe you can use some of these same things when you write your next review.